Straightforward Quick Placement & Diagnostic test
The Straightforward Quick Placement & Diagnostic
test has been designed to help you decide which of the five levels of
the Straightforward series is the most appropriate
The Straightforward test has 50 questions,
each worth one point. The first 40 are grammar questions and the final
10 are vocabulary questions. To decide your level, use the conversion
chart below. Please note that these bandings are a guide.
0 - 15
16 - 24
25 - 32
40 - 45
46 - 50
This test can also be used to diagnose grammar that you need clarification
on. Please consult the relevant level and unit of the course for more
- I ________________ from France. Beginner Unit 1
- This is my friend. _____________ name is Peter. Beginner Unit 1
- Mike is ______________. Beginner Unit 4
- my sister’s friend
- friend my sister
- friend from my sister
- my sister friend’s
- My brother is ______________ artist. Beginner Unit 2 / Elementary Basics 2
- _______________ 20 desks in the classroom. Beginner Unit 7 / Elementary Unit 3
- This is
- There is
- They are
- There are
- Paul ________________ romantic films. Beginner Unit 5
- likes not
- don’t like
- doesn’t like
- isn’t likes
- Sorry, I can’t talk. I _____________ right now. Beginner Unit 11
- ‘m driving
- She _________________ at school last week. Beginner Unit 8 / Elementary Unit 5
- didn't be
- I _________________ the film last night. Beginner Unit 9 / Elementary Unit 5
- __________________ a piece of cake? No, thank you. Elementary Unit 1
- Do you like
- Would you like
- Want you
- Are you like
- The living room is ___________________ than the bedroom. Elementary Unit 10 / Pre-int Unit 6
- more big
- more bigger
car is very old. We’re going ____________________ a new car soon. Beginner Unit 12 / Elementary Unit 11
- to buy
- to will buy
- Jane is a vegetarian. She ____________________ meat. Beginner Unit 6 / Elementary Unit 4
- sometimes eats
- never eats
- often eats
- usually eats
- There aren’t ________________ buses late in the evening. Elementary Unit 3 / Pre-int Unit 3
- The car park is _________________ to the restaurant. Elementary Unit 3 / Pre-int Unit 3
- in front
- Sue ________________ shopping every day. Elementary Unit 8 / Pre-int Unit 4
- is going
- They _________________ in the park when it started to rain heavily. Intermediate Unit 4
- were walking
- were walk
- are walking
- ________________ seen fireworks before? Pre-intermediate Unit 7 / Intermediate Unit 2
- Did you ever
- Are you ever
- Have you ever
- Do you ever
- We’ve been friends ____________________ many years. Pre-intermediate Unit 10 / Intermediate Unit 2
- You _________________ pay for the tickets. They’re free. Intermediate Unit 3
- have to
- don’t have
- don’t need to
- doesn’t have to
- Jeff was ill last week and he _________________ go out. Pre-intermediate Unit 11
- These are the photos ________________ I took on holiday. Pre-intermediate Unit 12
- We’ll stay at home if it _______________ this afternoon. Pre-intermediate Unit 8
- will rain
- He doesn’t smoke now, but he __________________ a lot when he was young. Pre-intermediate Unit 2
- has smoked
- used to smoke
- was smoked
- Mark plays football ___________________ anyone else I know. Pre-intermediate Unit 6 / Intermediate Unit 5
- more good than
- as better as
- best than
- better than
- I promise I __________________ you as soon as I’ve finished this cleaning.
Pre-intermediate Unit 5 / Intermediate Unit 6
- will help
- am helping
- going to help
- have helped
- This town ___________________ by lots of tourists during the summer.
Pre-intermediate Unit 9 / Intermediate Unit 11
- is visiting
- is visited
- He said that his friends ____________ to speak to him after they lost the football match.
Intermediate Unit 12 / Upper-intermediate Unit 10
- not want
- didn’t want
- aren’t wanting
- How about _________________ to the cinema tonight? Pre-intermediate Unit 4
- to go
- for going
- Excuse me, can you ___________________ me the way to the station,
please? Pre-intermediate Unit 3
- I wasn’t interested in the performance very much. ________________.
Intermediate Unit 4
- I didn’t, too.
- Neither was I.
- Nor I did.
- So I wasn’t.
- Take a warm coat, _______________ you might get very cold outside.
Upper Intermediate Unit 4
- in case
- so that
- in order to
- __________________ this great book and I can’t wait to see how it ends.
Intermediate Unit 7 / Upper Intermediate Unit 4
- I don’t read
- I’ve read
- I’ve been reading
- I read
- What I like more than anything else ___________________ at weekends.
Upper Intermediate Unit 1
- playing golf
- to play golf
- is playing golf
- is play golf
- She ________________ for her cat for two days when she finally found it in the garage. Upper Intermediate Unit 5
- had been looked
- had been looking
- were looking
- We won’t catch the plane _________________ we leave home now! Please hurry up! Upper Intermediate Unit 6
- providing that
- If I hadn’t replied to your email, I___________________ here with you now. Upper Intermediate Unit 6
- can’t be
- wouldn’t be
- won’t be
- haven’t been
- Do you think you ___________________ with my mobile phone soon? I need to make a call. Upper Intermediate Unit 7
- are finishing
- will have finished
- are finished
- I don’t remember mentioning __________________ dinner together tonight. Upper Intermediate Unit 10
- go for
- you going to
- to go for
- going for
- Was it Captain Cook ______________ New Zealand? Upper Intermediate Unit 12
- who discovered
- that discover
- who was discovering
- You may not like the cold weather here, but you’ll have to ________________, I’m afraid.
- tell it off
- sort itself out
- put up with it
- put it off
- It’s cold so you should __________________ on a warm jacket.
- Paul will look ______________ our dogs while we’re on holiday.
- She ___________________ a lot of her free time reading.
- Hello, this is Simon. Could I ___________________ to Jane, please?
- They’re coming to our house ___________________ Saturday.
- I think it’s very easy to ___________ debt these days.
- go into
- go down to
- get into
- Come on! Quick! Let’s get _____________!
- with immediate effect
- I phoned her ____________ I heard the news.
- by the time
- the moment
- I feel very ____________. I’m going to go to bed!
Straightforward Second edition © Macmillan Publishers Limited 2012
This page is photocopiable, but all copies must be complete pages.